As promised here is the grape jam recipe, slightly revised to include the use of the newly discovered natural pectin!
- 3 lbs. Concord Grapes ~ 9 Cups
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1-1/2 Cups Mild Flavored Honey
- 1/2 Cup Turbinado Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice (appx. 2 lemons)
- 2 Tsp. Pomona's Universal Pectin Powder (well mixed into honey/sugar used per package directions)
- 2 Tsp. Pomona's Universal Pectin Calcium Water
- Wash and de-stem the grapes
- Place in a large stainless steel or enamel pot with 1/2 cup water
- With a potato masher or wooden spoon mash the grapes
- Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce the heat to an active simmer
- Simmer ~10 minutes or until the grape centers soften so they are easily crushed
- Press the grapes through a food mill or a sieve with a wooden spoon to remove seeds and skins*
- Discard skins and seeds and return remaining pulp to the saucepan
- Add Lemon Juice
- Add Calcium Water
- Return to a boil and vigorously stir in the honey/pectin mixture and/or sugar/pectin mixture
- Boil gently stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes to disolve pectin
- Remove from heat
- Remove a spoonful, cool and taste for desired sweetness.
- If necessary add additional honey or sugar.
- Fill jars, add lids and rings and process
A food mill is easier even though it may hang-up a little if the seeds are large. Just turn the handle the other way for a bit and it will free things up.
Add Lemon Juice
....give them a bath!
Feel free to post any questions you may have and I'll try to help.
Thanks for reading and following,