Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Grape Jam Recipe ~ With Honey and Minimal Sugar

As promised here is the grape jam recipe, slightly revised to include the use of the newly discovered natural pectin!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 3 lbs. Concord Grapes ~ 9 Cups
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • 1-1/2 Cups Mild Flavored Honey
  • 1/2 Cup Turbinado Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice (appx. 2 lemons)
  • 2 Tsp. Pomona's Universal Pectin Powder (well mixed into honey/sugar used per package directions)
  • 2 Tsp. Pomona's Universal Pectin Calcium Water
DIRECTIONS:
  • Wash and de-stem the grapes
  • Place in a large stainless steel or enamel pot with 1/2 cup water
  • With a potato masher or wooden spoon mash the grapes
  • Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce the heat to an active simmer
  • Simmer ~10 minutes or until the grape centers soften so they are easily crushed
  • Press the grapes through a food mill or a sieve with a wooden spoon to remove seeds and skins*
  • Discard skins and seeds and return remaining pulp to the saucepan
  • Add Lemon Juice
  • Add Calcium Water
  • Return to a boil and vigorously stir in the honey/pectin mixture and/or sugar/pectin mixture
  • Boil gently stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes to disolve pectin
  • Remove from heat
  • Remove a spoonful, cool and taste for desired sweetness.
  • If necessary add additional honey or sugar.
  • Fill jars, add lids and rings and process
 Photos with recipe notes shown below.








Find the grapes and pick them!
Wash, de-stem, measure, mash, add water and cook.


Press through a sieve or food mill to remove skins and seeds.
A food mill is easier even though it may hang-up a little if the seeds are large. Just turn the handle the other way for a bit and it will free things up.
Discard skins and seeds and return remaining pulp to the saucepan
Add Lemon Juice
Add Calcium Water
Discard skins and seeds and return remaining pulp to the saucepan
Add Lemon Juice
Add Calcium Water
Return to a boil and vigorously stir in the honey/pectin mixture and/or sugar/pectin mixture
Boil gently stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes to disolve pectin














Fill the jars, add lids and rings and....















....give them a bath!

Feel free to post any questions you may have and I'll try to help.

Thanks for reading and following,
Trish

8 comments:

  1. I made this today using concord grape juice. Looking forward until tomorrow to see what happend and how it tastes. Thanks for the recipe. Thought you might like to know that I used 12 half pint jars with your recipe.

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendi - Thanks for the update on your jam making & for stating the amount of juice you used.

    I would definitely like to know how this worked out and what you think of the Pomona's Pectin. Please write again and let me know :)

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish,
    I actually didn't have the Pomona's Pectin instead used two boxes of No Sugar needed Sure Jell (Pink box) Just made another batch today, ran out giving them to my friends as gifts. Everyone really loved the taste expecially with the hint of honey. Have you tried this with only using the honey? I also used the Newman's Own Concord Juice. Thanks for the great recipe.

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendi - I'm not very experienced at this blogging thing! I've done plenty of web sites, but blogging is new to me..soooo..I guess this is the best way to respond to you!

    I also gave jam for Christmas gifts and everyone seems to enjoy receiving it! I hope to post photos of my jars and my baskets soon...still busy, busy, busy!

    To answer your question, yes, I have done the grape jam using only 3 ingredients....grapes, mild honey and grape juice as a sweetener. You do have to cook it a very long time to reach gel point though. This is why I was very happy to find the Pomona's Natural Pectin and subsequently modified the recipe.

    I'm glad you are having success and enjoying your jam making too! That's wonderful! You are welcome for the recipe. I'm glad you were able to use it.

    Please send along your web site for your sewing. I am also a seamstress and I would love to see your work.

    Take care and thank you for visiting and writing :)

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not have the calcium water. Will that make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  6. is the 9 cups of grapes whole or smashed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Paj - I'm so sorry I was never notified of your post. The calcium powder to make the calcium water comes with the Pomona's Pectin. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christie - Thanks for writing! The 3 pounds or 9 cups are 'pre-mashed'. Hope your jam turns out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to visit again.